How can we help with Stress Management?
Stress management is all about building resilience to stress, so that when it happens we can cope much better. In these difficult financial times, job security is one of the biggest issues, but when redundancies are made, often it's the employees left behind who are the ones left to cope with the extra work, but also some guilt that they still have employment.
There are certain steps you can take to make sure you can cope better.
- Find an engaging past time or hobby you enjoy and you find fulfilling.
- Exercise - that promotes more dopamine and that makes you feel better.
- Don't feel that you have to bottle it up, sometimes a good cry and off loading our burdens help us feel better even if it's short term.
- Ask the management team if they have any suggestions to how things can be reorganised so you don't feel so overwhelmed.
- Create a group at work where you can find solutions to the problems you're all having and get the managers on board.
- Practice relaxation and mindful techniques.
Not all companies are large enough for HR or occupational health specialists, so as a small to medium sized business, you need to make sure all your employees are working to their best ability, if they are stressed by to a high workload or have constraints that make them feel they are not a valued member of staff, they will feel stressed, and that leads to demotivation, and what is known as presenteeism
There are certain steps you can take to make sure your staff are working at their peak.
- Make sure the employees know what changes need to be made and that they understand the reasons behind those changes.
- Make sure the employees feel that they are listened to - employers who believe that their staff are to do what they are told are doomed to failure.
- Make sure the employees are taking their breaks, being healthy and enjoying what they are doing.
- Employees are more motivated if they feel they are part of something and have choices in what they do - flexibility helps them to manage their work/life balance. People with poor work/life balances end up stressed and making poor decisions at work and home, which often leads to absenteeism.
What we can provide
I can help companies put together a stress management package, with a half-day seminar where you will learn about the effects of stress on performance and a wide variety of things the company and individuals can do to help stress management.
We can also take a look at your company's environment. Having trained in environmental psychology as part as the architectural studies degree, allows me to look at how the space in your building works and can give advice and pointers as to whether it's contributing towards stress and how to remedy it if it is.
- How stress effects the mind and body.
- How stress effects your productivity and down time.
- How making changes can benefit everyone.
- What's the real problem? Using solution focused work can help find solutions to the problems.
- Stress management techniques - using tools such as NLP, mindfulness, self hypnosis and guided relaxation.
- Getting the right balance.
Also see: Pathology of Anxiety